Thursday, January 27, 2011

Pregnancy, Cravings, Weight Gain and Eating Properly for Once! A Must Read for Expecting or New Moms! Part 1

Since becoming pregnant I've been asked the same question over and over again.  "Have you been having any weird cravings yet?"

The answer is NO.  

Well, I suppose that's a lie.  When we first conceived I was expecting the obligatory cravings like ice cream and pickles.  Things really far out there and gross to the non-pregnant population.  While I do like both of those items, I never once craved them together.  The only thing I started to crave really bad was meat.  I was a vegetarian for 16 years before becoming pregnant.  Notice I said was a vegetarian (I will cover more on this in part 2).  I hated that I was craving the one thing I had avoided for so long!  So I went down to my local Indigo and started browsing the pregnancy section, in hopes of finding a book that would tell me my cravings could be justified.  As it turns out, I found quite the opposite and it really opened my eyes to what was truly going on in this head of mine.

I purchased the book Skinny Bitch Bun in the Oven and immediately read it from cover to cover.  I really loved their "tell it like it is" approach and found value in a lot of the information.  One of the main messages I retained from this book and is that cravings are just that: cravings!  This line of thought 100% changed my outlook. Think about it this way, cigarette smokers crave smoking, alcoholics crave the bottle and drug addicts crave drugs.  This doesn't mean that any of those things are actually something that the craver needs!!!!!  After a bit more research into food cravings, I found that the only solid craving your body gets when it needs something is ice.  It is a sign that you're iron deficient.  So if that sounds like you, please have that checked!  Otherwise, look at it this way: You are no longer fueling yourself, you are fueling the body of a whole new human being.  They are depending on you to provide them with the nutrients that they need to grow strong in the womb.  Stuffing your face with 1,000's of extra sugary and nutrient-bare calories a day is doing absolutely no one any good.  Guess what ladies, it's not about you anymore!  It is extremely selfish, plain and simple.  (wow, I said craving a LOT in that last paragraph!)

You are absolutely going to gain weight while you are pregnant.  It is crucial for fetal development. But it shouldn't be because you've let all inhibitions fly out the door and are now eating like a raging hormonal monster!  

Healthy weight gain while pregnant is as follows:
  • Under weight prior to pregnancy = 30-40lb total*
  • Healthy weight prior to pregnancy = 20-35lb total*
  • Over weight prior to pregnancy = 15-20lb total*
*Please remember that these are guidelines and that your doctor will help you find the best weight gain range for your body.

If you're worried about what all that extra weight amounts to, don't worry it's not all fat, there IS a baby in there after all!  Here's a breakdown for you:

Baby
5-10+ lb
Maternal Tissue Fluid
6 lb
Maternal Fat Stores
5 lb
Blood Volume
2.5 lb
Amniotic Fluid
2 lb
Uterus
2 lb
Breast Tissue
1 lb
Placenta
1 lb
Total
24.5lb – 29.5lb**

**The information in this chart is courtesy of The Pre & Post Natal Fitness Certification Manual, by Sue Dumais & Lisa Windsor.

In the first and second trimesters you should aim for an extra 390 calories per day, and in the third trimester you only need around 300 extra calories per day.  Everyone has different opinions on this but I've found this to be ideal.  You aren't eating for 2 adults, you're eating for one adult and one tiny little baby!!!

Becoming pregnant is the perfect time to start living a healthier lifestyle.  Incorporating light exercise as prescribed by a prenatal fitness consultant and eating healthy into your daily routine now will not only benefit you during your pregnancy, but it can assist with an easier labour and will also give you the tools you need to bring your baby into a healthy environment.  Plus, once you've delivered your baby and have doctor's clearance to exercise again, it's much easier to get into pre-baby shape when you haven't gorged yourself and let yourself go!  Develop your good habits now and they will be second nature once your bundle of joy arrives.  Active healthy parents = active healthy children.

If you have any questions regarding any of the information above, feel free to contact me at info@oceancitymobilefitness.com.

Stay tuned for more information on fueling your body in an appropriate way to maintain a healthy weight gain throughout your pregnancy.

Until then,
Jenn




No comments:

Post a Comment